Monday 22 December 2008

What are the Odds?

It's always frustrating when a game's design and concept hits the mark with me so perfectly, yet in practice I just don't get on with it. Such was the case with Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (1997). Abe was such a loveable character, the visual style was beautifully realised, the story and world were creative and unique, yet I suck at playing it. In fact, I suck at pretty much all stealth games, so let's just leave it at that. I'm digressing.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

It's refreshing to know that, after a 3-year period of not releasing any games, Oddworld Inhabitants are still active and are in fact working on a new Oddworld title, as well as a CGI film called Citizen Siege. Details are all still very shady at this stage and it is in fact a new IP (not set in Oddworld) but it's enough to keep me going. It will be nice to watch someone else suck at being stealthy for a change.

Check out these interviews for more information:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Abe!! I'm glad i'm not alone in appreciating such a classic=) I have Exoddus on the Playstation and I briefly played Oddysee on the PC but I didn't get very far without knowing the controls.

Yeah, I didn't do very well at the stealth either: it was a lot harder in 2D compared to my sneaky shenanigans in MGS;-) I usually got my fellow Mudokons shot. Oh but the sheer number of ways to kill them was endlessly entertaining. My favourite were the Greeters. Smile!=)

This is good news indeed, I will have to watch the vids later when I finish wrapping presents, but this is a pleasant reminder to revisit some of the old games. I never did get to play Munch's Oddysee thanks to the whole Xbox vs Playstation deal, but I played Stranger's Wrath a little - live ammo;-)