Wednesday 23 January 2008

Union, Luminesca

Well there is some good news and some bad today.

The good news is that my mod now has a name: Union. It is also pretty much complete gameplay-wise. I just need to tweak a few things, add some detail and but it through some playtesting sessions.

The bad news is that in splitting the one large map into two more easy-to-handle-for-low-spec-computers I have created an invisible wall which prevents the player progressing... and I can't figure out why. In Hammer there is nothing there. It's infuriating to say the least.

Hopefully it should be fixed this week, testing will take place over the next few weeks and Union should be released before March. Not a promise, but a realistic target.

Side note: I submitted it to ModDB but I haven't heard anything since... Hmm...

In other news, my uncontrollable imagination came up with this delightful little creature the other day. I called him Luminesca. One day he will be the star of a weird and wonderful game which involves luring harmless creatures into your fat gob.

This image can be used as a PSP wallpaper. Click it to go to the right size version. Enjoy, but not too much.

luminescaPSP

P.S. I also stumbled across this interesting post-mortem of the original Half-Life. It provides some interesting insight into the development process, in particular the Cabal system that Valve implemented which turned the game from a dull, generic heap which was no fun to play into the winner of over 50 Game of the Year awards. Worth a read if you're into that sort of thing.

No comments: