Thursday 10 January 2008

Preview: Soul Calibur IV, Patapon

Those crazy cats at Namco have announced a new twist on Soul Calibur IV: it is set to include characters from the Star Wars franchise. Now, borrowing characters from other IPs is nothing new as Soul Calibur II featured exclusive characters depending on which console you were playing on (Heihachi, Link and Spawn for the PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox respectively), but come on, how are you supposed to stand a chance against a lightsabre?! This trailer features Vader and Mitsurugi locking swords together... I just don't think it's plausible.

Oh well, I suppose the series isn't exactly designed to be super-realistic is it?

Anyway, enough cynicism. I also just set eyes on this little gem for the first time. It's called Patapon and it's a new title being released for the PSP. The trailer doesn't really explain how the game is played too well but it's a rhythm-based game mixed with some other elements. I'm not a huge fan of rhythm games (because I ain't got rhythm), but what drew me to this was the art style. I love the silhouetted characters - there's something so clean and attractive about it - and the backgrounds are just beautiful in their simplicity. I think the style suits the PSP's crisp, small screen as well.

It makes me wish that Limbo would be released.

No comments: